Should I Be Using A Pod Mod Or A Box Mod?
Pod cartridges like Juul, Phix, Suorin, and others have drastically changed the vape game. Instead of lugging around a heavy box mod, extra batteries, and bulky e-liquid bottles, you can enjoy a discreet puff of vapor from a device no bigger than a thumb drive. But aside from its size, what are some of the pros and cons of using pod mods as opposed to box mods from Smok, Vaporesso, and many others? In this article, we’ll go over some information for both devices and see which one is right for you. Let’s start off with pod mods, since those have become increasingly popular in the past few months, and then we'll go over what a box mod is, as well as some pros and cons of both.
WHAT IS A POD MOD?
A pod mod is a device that operates off of cartridges (also known as “pods”) that are either pre-filled or can be refilled with your preferred vape juice. A good analogy would be like how Keurig coffee makers make coffee from pre-filled coffee containers. Pod mods are designed to be convenient to acquire and easy to use. Most of these pod mods are designed to be MTL, or “mouth-to-lung,” meaning all you have to do is inhale and the device will activate. This style is very popular with beginning vapers or users who are transitioning from cigarettes to vaping.
WHAT IS A BOX MOD?
A box mod is a modifiable box-shaped device (see where “box mod” comes in?) that vapers worldwide use for sub-ohm vaping. Some of the modifications these box mods utilize are coils and wicks that allow the user to select ohms and wattages to their liking. This high-tech box requires batteries (either rechargeable or built-in) and contains a powerful chipset that allows the user a great range of customization, such as screen color, touchscreen, temperature control, preheat functions, and so much more.
PROS AND CONS OF USING A BOX MOD
You may already be familiar with some of the pros and cons of box mods, so make sure to leave a comment below if I’ve left anything out! We’ll start out with the pro’s of using a box mod.
- Box mods are powered by rechargeable batteries. These batteries are excellent for all-day vaping and having a second charged set handy can ensure your clouds last you for hours at a time.
- Box mods can work with any other vape tank. The internal threading on all box mods are all threaded the same, meaning you can upgrade your tank or mod or swap out hardware without spending double. For example, you would be able to use a Vaporesso mod with a Smok tank.
- You can use any type of free-base nicotine e-juice. This means that any level of PG VG vape juice will work in your tank. However, you can’t use nic-salts, as those are specifically designed for pod-mods and the sheer volume of nicotine in those e-juice will burn your throat horribly.
Now that we’ve mentioned some good things about box mods, it’s time to check out some of the inconveniences and drawbacks of using these types of vape devices.
- The biggest drawback on box mods are their size and weight. Since the box mod requires a large power source to power you through an entire day of vaping, they can be bulky and unwieldy in a pocket or bag. But the insane amount of cloud production might just be worth it for you!
- Box mods utilize sub-ohm takes that require free-base nicotine. This means that you’ll be choosing between 0mg, 3mg, and 6mg (or higher) compared to the 35mg+ that nic-salts have. Unfortunately, these free-base nicotine bottles are quite large, ranging from 60mL to 120mL (I’ve actually seen a 200mL in one vape shop) and are not ideal when it comes to traveling.
- Lastly, box mods can be very expensive when you first buy them. A full vape starter kit of the box mod, sub-ohm tank, coils, and batteries can cost you well over $150. Depending on the type of coil you use, each box can cost $20+. And each bottle of e-juice you purchase ranges from $10-$30, with some e-liquids costing more than $50! Think of these extremely premium ejuices as exotic wines or aged bourbons; only buy them if you’re looking to celebrate or show off your vape juice. For the most part, a regular 100mL bottle should cost about $25. And depending on how often you use that vape juice, that $25 bottle could last you for several weeks!
PROS AND CONS OF USING A POD MOD
There are several pros and cons of using a pod mod. You’ll need to weigh your options before deciding to use these devices, as compared to using a standard box mod. We’ll start with the pros.
- Pod mods are great for stealth vaping. The clouds produced with a pod mod are very discreet and light, compared with the huge billowing clouds from a sub-ohm tank. These are ideal for indoor vaping, vaping on crowded streets, or when with friends.
- Pod mods are designed to be used with nicotine salts, or nic-salts. Nic-salts are excellent for ex-smokers and vapers accustomed to higher nicotine content e-liquids. Their simple design is also attractive for beginner vapers, although the throat hit from nic-salts might be shockingly harsh if you’ve never vaped or smoked before.
While these pros might be very attractive to some users, it’s important to note that some of the cons are pretty serious. We’ll go over some of those cons now, but they may not be serious issues that bother you.
- Pod mods are not interchangeable, meaning that if you have a Juul device, a cartridge for Suorin or Joyetech will not work with it. Whatever device you have, you’ll have to stick with.
- Before purchasing a pod mod, you’ll need to decide if you want to use disposable cartridges or refillable ones. Refillables are a better option because you can swap out different e-liquids within the pod, versus having to throw out the disposable pods. The disposable mods are more convenient, as you simply swap out an old one for a fresh one, but these types of pods contribute to the plastic waste in landfills and aren’t usually recyclable.
- Pod mods are purposely designed with small batteries to keep that compact shape. If you’re looking to use a device to power you through a whole day of use, you’ll be deeply disappointed with the short battery life. If you’re a social vaper who only wants to use your device for a short amount of time, like while at a party or making a trip to the store, a pod mod makes the most sense for you.
- Pod mods are horrible when it comes to high VG e-liquid. Remember how we said that pod mod vapor is discreet? The main purpose of high VG e-liquid is to produce huge puffy clouds, whereas PG delivers a strong flavor. If you’re wanting huge clouds as well as great flavor, you’re better off going with a sub-ohm tank and a box mod.
You should have a good idea what you want out of your vaping experience. If you want huge puffy clouds from a device that can last you all day, you probably won’t be happy with a pod mod. On the other hand, if you want a device that you can break out occasionally that won’t break the bank, a pod mod will work wonderfully for your lifestyle. You can use both or prefer one over the other, but hopefully this article has provided some insight on both devices.
What device do you use for your vaping sessions? Have you had a better experience with pod mods or box mods? Share your experience with us in the comments below! I personally prefer the box mod route, but my brother actually prefers the pod mods. He’s active military and likes something small in his pocket that he can use sporadically, while I like the huge puffy clouds that last me all day. Let me know which device you use and prefer, along with what e-juices you’re more fond of!
Here at ejuice.deals, we primarily focus on giving you the best advice, the finest e-liquids (both free-base and nic-salt), and the lowest prices. Our main goal is to keep you as a vaper happy in terms of money well-spent and information on commonly asked vaping questions. If you have any further questions on the differences between pod mods versus box mods, you can always reach out to us via email, phone, or social media. We’ll do our best to answer your question as quickly and as informative as possible. Check back with us soon for an e-liquid review, a DIY e-liquid article, or another informative post where we discuss a commonly asked vaping question! Until then, may your tank (or pod!) always be full of delicious vape juice and may your clouds always be full of mouthwatering flavor!